Wednesday 15 March 2017

Stepping back in time ........... the Black Friar, Salford as it would look

Now I never visited the Black Friar on Blackfriars Road and Trinty Way but there will be plenty of people who did.

At which point if you are one of those people  you may want  to“turn away” because it hasn’t fared well over the years and on my last trip down Blackfriars Road, the pub  looked very sad and grim and I couldn’t bring myself to post a photograph of the place.

So for all those with happier memories of the pub here is a painting by Peter Topping of the Blackfriar at a moment in time before now.

He tells me that “after passing the pub on Sunday and seeing it slowly falling into dereliction I found an old Black & White picture which gave a good indication to what the windows looked like... So I have painted it as it would have looked today if it wasn't boarded up.”

And that is that, other than to say, following the successful publication of Manchester Pubs -The Stories Behind the Doors - City Centre at Christmas, Peter and I are now working on the pubs and bars of Chorlton-cum-Hardy, with a view of following it up with those of Salford

Location; Salford

Painting; Black Friar, as it would look. Painting © 2017 Peter Topping, Paintings from Pictures.
Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk

*A new book on Manchester Pubs https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/A%20new%20book%20on%20Manchester%20Pubs

Manchester Pubs is available fromwww.pubbooks.co.uk  or Chorlton Bookshop

No comments:

Post a Comment