Sunday 12 February 2017

One more heave and the Railway Inn at Cornbrook will be no more

It’s the ruin you spot from the tram at Cornbrook.

2014
Once it was the Railway Inn, pulling pints and offering a bit of cheer on a drab corner.

I have been interested in it for years, have written about it in the past and featured some of Andy Robertson’s pictures of the place.

It still clings on although now there is little left bar a few walls.

Andy Robertson regularly visits what’s left and soon that won’t be anything. It stands on the corner of Cornbrook Road and Dover Street and in 1911 Jonas Barraclough dispensed the beer and the cheer.

2017
It was a densely packed area of terraced houses and industry but as the people and the industry moved away there were few people left to buy those pints.

And for those who remember it in its happier days and for that matter those who are curious to know what it looked like here is the Railway Inn back in 1958.

I know people who drankin there, sadly I wasn't one of them.

1958
Location; Cornbrook









Pictures; of the Railway Inn today, back in 2014  courtesy of Andy Robertson, and as it was in 1958, when E Stanley captured it, m 50339, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

7 comments:

  1. My great-uncle, Jonas! Nice to find him remembered here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. - thank you. Jonas was my great-uncle. Haven't found a photo of him yet but having a photo of his pub is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonas’s daughter Clarissa was my Grandmother

      Delete
    2. Jonas’s daughter Clarissa was my Grandmother

      Delete
  3. Jonas B was my great grandfather. Is there anything left as of 2023?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born at 60, Dover street opposite the the railway in 1944, and moved just after it became Dinton street, I have a later photo of the the pub just before it closed.

    ReplyDelete