Thursday 4 March 2021

The White Hart in Eltham, drinking back the years

Now today I am being rather lazy and have not dug deep in to our history to find out about the White Hart.

This I shall do, trawling the directories and the census returns but for now I shall just present these two images.

Chrissie took this image of the present pub earlier this year and I like the way she has caught the place just as the light is fading.

I haven’t been in there for a long time which is a shame because I read it has picked up some nice reviews.

That said I would rather like to have visited its predecessor which was still relatively new when it was photographed in 1909.

And for that matter the pub it replaced.  But that is just the romantic in me.

In the meantime you can always read about Elizabeth Jane Hunt who lived close by.*

Pictures; The White Hart today, © Chrissie Rose, 2014 and the White Hart in 1909, from The story of Royal Eltham, R.R.C. Gregory, 1909 and published on The story of Royal Eltham, by Roy Ayers, http://www.gregory.elthamhistory.org.uk/bookpages/i001.htm

*With Elizabeth Jane Hunt and three children in a two roomed house in Eltham in 1911
http://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/with-elizabeth-jane-hunt-and-three.html

No comments:

Post a Comment