Wednesday 9 November 2016

Lost and forgotten streets of Manchester .......... nu 78 Gaythorn Street and a pub

I like the way that a demolition site can reveal a rare glance of a building which has pretty much been hidden for a very long time.

The City Road Inn, 2016
In the case of the City Road Inn it is more that it dispels the idea that this is a very big pub.

Seen from the corner of Whitworth Street West and Albion Street the pub looks to be a big place but looks can be deceptive and as Andy’s photograph shows the building is much smaller.

It was built in the late 19th century but stands on the site of an earlier pub which carried the same name back to 1849 when it was the Hawthorn Tavern.

And for those wanting more on the lost streets of Manchester,  Whitworth Street West was originally Gaythorn Street and predates the Rochdale Canal which runs along its northern side.

Gaythorn Street, 1794
As early as the 1790s part of the southern side beside Knott Mill was already developed and within half a century the area was a densely packed mix of small back to backs, some bigger properties and a few closed courts.

And no sooner had the story gone out when P J Thompson added the comment, "When did the nearby Gaythorn Tavern disappear? 

It was still there around 1980-ish."

The Gaythorn Inn, 1971
Now I had assumed that the Gaythorn had gone a long time ago and had become part of the City Road Inn.
But not so and again I have P J to thank who came up with a picture and the comment,

"Definitely not, it was on the junction of Albion Street. and Hewitt Street."

All of which will send me back off into the wonderful realms of research, and of course offer up a thank you to PJ.

Hewitt Street, 1954
And in turn let me wander back across the Local Image collection , where I found this one of the same pub in 1954.

Now I do like it but then I have always been a sucker for pictures through arches.

But as we have strayed someone what from the original post I shall stop three.

Location; Manchester






Picture; the City Road Inn, 2016, from the collection of Andy Robertson, the Gaythorn Inn, 1971, A Dawson, m49641, Hewitt Street 1954 H Mulligan, m26104, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass and the map of the area from Green's map of Manchester, 1794, courtesy of Digital Archives Association, http://digitalarchives.co.uk/

1 comment:

  1. I remember The City Road Inn as it could be seen just under the bridge from FM Bell & Co (Lift Engineers) Ltd, Trumpet St, Gaythorne, Manchester where I worked in 1972. The sign above the entrance to City Rd Inn was Light Blue like the City strip of the time. Bells was on a part of Trumpet Street not now shown on modern maps but was opposite the Trumpet Street now shown as a continuation of it across Albion Street. The works backed on to the back of the railway bridge which I think is now not used and the area it was on I think is a car show room parking space now. I visited there recently and it's hard to place where it was with all the new buildings. It was.my 2nd job from leaving school and I would walk there daily from Piccadilly along Mosley St and pass the Central Station which by then was closed and bordered off around it. It became G Mex later after I had left. Thanks for puting about The City Inn on your site as I can't find any other details or pictures of my old works or the area as it was then.

    ReplyDelete