Friday 14 October 2016

The case of the missing things ........... down on Longford Road

Now I have to admit I was rubbish at those spot the ball competitions which seemed to be in all the popular Sunday newspapers when I was growing up.

And that might explain why I was stumped when Andy Robertson sent over this picture of Longford Road and asked what was missing.

I thought it might be the absence of a familiar building which Derek the Developer deemed a blot on the landscape and even wondered if they had once had yellow lines which have vanished.

But I confessed defeat only to be told that there were no cars.

Which I grant you is unusual and takes you back to a time before the beginning of the last century.

The explanation is of course that the road was being resurfaced which in that great scoreboard kept by me and Andy means its one up to him.

But then he is the proud possessor of both a badge for Observation awarded first by the Cubs and another by the Scouts.

Which makes me shout that this was unfair playing field and also makes me wonder when the picture will reappear in Martin’s Moments of Chorlton’s history or Susan’s pub quiz, neither of whom I suspect will credit Andy.

I await round two Andy .......

Location; Chorlton

Picture; Longford Road, 2016 from the collection of Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment