Sunday 24 January 2021

“Having a nice time, sea rough”.............. picture postcards from the 1930

“Having a nice time, sea rough seen some people I know” and with that Betty plunged into a description of the places she had seen and some of the things she had done.

I wonder what Ethel and Bert thought of the card or for that matter the others which they received over the years.

They lived on Church Lane in Harpurhey and the house is still there and although I doubt that they or any of the family are still in the area.

This card along with a large batch of others had been thrown away and were found by someone who passed them on to Ron who in turn has lent them to me.

They are a rich collection spanning the early decades of the 20th century and include family snaps, posed studio portraits and lots of seaside cards.

Ron hoped that we might be able reveal something of the family and also a bit about Betty, which I hope we will.

Which just leaves me to reflect on the gentle humour of the card.

Location; on holiday

Picture; picture postcard circa 1930s from the collection of Ron Stubley

No comments:

Post a Comment