Monday 15 May 2023

A mystery, a challenge and a romp through Eltham’s history with a neat lesson in social change part 1

Now here’s a trailer for a story that could run and run and I think I am minded to turn it into a challenge.

Here is the question.

What connects a reward issued by the Lord Mayor of London at the height of the Whitechapel Murders with Avery Hill and Mrs Morris of Court Yard?

Those who are regular readers of the blog will know that some at least of the clues are to be found in the stories that have already appeared.

At this point I know the challenge is a bit obscure but the fun will be to see who can begin to suggest a link.

And over the next few weeks I shall offer up bit more of the story.

The winner will be the one who comes closest to the solution.  But just as my old Maths teacher used to say the answer is not as important as the working out.  So full credit to anyone who can put together a nice set of links which have a sound historical grounding.

There is of course no prize other than the pleasure of contributing to the fun.

And just to show I cannot be accused of favouritism I am going to ask my good friend Jean to make the final judgement.

And for those in the know that in itself is a clue.

Picture; Avery Hill from the collection of Jean Gammons

No comments:

Post a Comment