Thursday 23 July 2015

On passing Grove Market yesterday

Now if like me you no longer live in Eltham it is always nice to receive pictures and stories of the place.

And as I have been following the memories of those who sat in the Wimpy Bar in  the Grove Market and have fond memories of when I opened my first Midland Bank account I am pleased that Larissa has sent me these.

She took them on the way to work and as they say the new development is a work in progress.

I have followed the tortuous tale of the planning applications and both the Council’s concerns along with people who live nearby.

And while I doubt any one is bothered about my comments I have to say I am not convinced that it is an asset to Eltham.

But I left Well Hall in 1969, don’t pay the council tax and live 180 miles north of Grove Market all of which might well mean my opinion “don’t count for hill of beans”.

That said it is not a development that sits well with its surroundings.

Of course there are going to be a few who argue that change has to be embraced but I only think  if it fits and blends in with the surrounding landscape.

Well we shall see.

In the meantime I will go back and look again at the stories of Court Yard and Grove Market which have appeared over the years.

At present I just want to thank Larissa for the images of the development and those she also took of the Orangery.

Pictures, Grove Market development, July 2015, © Larissa Hemment

No comments:

Post a Comment