Tuesday 23 June 2015

That shop on the corner of Keppel and Wilbraham .......... an update

Now I have been watching the progress of the shop on the corner of  Wilbraham and Keppel Road.

I must have bought the odd bar of chocolate and soft drink from when it was a  store and more recently I have looked on  as the work to the frontage has progressed.

I was hoping for a ghost sign or some of the original shop front and was rewarded with a bit of fan light but I never had a camera and now its all been hidden again.

One day I might well see if I can track the shops that existed here and I reckon there will be people who can chip in with some names and in the next story that is what they did.*

Back in 1911 and further back into the last century it was a butcher’s run by Mr Whiteley.

All of which just leaves me to report that it will become an estate agent and for anyone who has not yet seen the plans for the mixed retail and residential development on the site of the old Blockbuster, Mike Lever has turned up a link.**


Picture; that shop June 2015, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

*When Mr & Mrs Allendale sold apples at that shop on the corner of Wilbraham and Keppel, http://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/when-mr-mrs-allendale-sold-apples-at.html

**Park View, http://www.publicaccess.manchester.gov.uk/associateddocs/Default1.aspx?105734-dsx-0001.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment