Friday 19 November 2021

In St Ann's Square with an ongoing debate and lots of people

Now if you are of certain age, let’s say old enough to have thought “She Loves You” was magic and yearned for a TV programme which was in colour then I guess St Ann’s Square full of cars will be familiar.

When my friend Sally posted the picture  last year it set a debate going on exactly when it was taken.

Much hung on the make of cars that were parked up, but I wonder if another clue might be the statue on the plinth.  Today on the plinth are two soldiers from the South African War.

But in our picture they are not there so it should be simple enough to research when the Victorian worthy was moved and replaced by the two men.

The war memorial was made in 1907, and was listed  grade II status in 1974.

And perhaps even start another debate on which Victorian worthy was staring down at us.

I think I know but I shall keep that to myself at present.

Of course the code MHR 9 at the bottom right hand corner is also worth following up.  I think it will refer to a reissue of the card.

That said there may be someone reading this who was there when the picture was taken which is a long shot I know but I am constantly surprised how things pop up.

Today of course St Ann’s Square remains one of our busiest open spaces and is one of the venues for those markets.

I actually prefer it without the markets, when it offers up a place to sit catch up with friends or just watch the ebb and flow of a day in the city.

And it was on a recent Tuesday while waiting during a shopping adventure that I recorded a few of those waiting like me for someone.

It was a dinner time and so along with those wandering trough the square there were plenty sitting on those long stone benches and more than a few propped on those large round stone orbs which are comfortable for a few minutes but which after a while force you to move on.

And what was what made me wander across the square.

So there you have it from a place teaming with cars and people to one just full of a pedestrians, some waiting, others intent on eating a sandwich and some just passing the time of day.

Pictures; St Ann’s Square before now, courtesy of Sally Dervan, the statue and people from the collection of Andrew Simpson, July 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment