Wednesday 25 February 2015

Walking through Stalybridge with memories of 40 years ago part 4 ........ that church on Trinty Street

Now looking at Peter’s paintings and revisiting Stalybridge I realize just how much  of the place we missed including those gems like the Market Hall and the library.

But back in the 70s, we worked in Manchester, and really only got out into Ashton at weekends and trips out to Stalybridge were rare.

I suppose we could have done more excursions but the route into the town from Raynham Street took us past the Sycamore and the park and if the pub didn’t get us the hot house did.

So here is another of the buildings painted by Peter and unvisited by me.

It is Holy Trinity and Christ Church and if you live in Stalybridge you will know its history so I won’t go down that route.

Instead I shall ponder on how people felt when in 1778 the Old St George’s Church, Cocker Hill collapsed only two years after it was built, and I rather think I will go looking for a story.

Painting;  Stalybridge, Holy Trinity and Christ Church  © 2014

 Peter Topping, Paintings from Pictures

Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment