Tuesday 10 February 2015

Walking back into the 1970s with the Gamecock in Hulme

There will be someone I know who can tell me when the Gamecock on the corner of Boundry Lane and Booth Street West pulled its last pint.

That excellent site for all things to do with Manchester pubs, dates its opening as 1974 and has a nice little description of the place.*

I remember it well, but never went in and my only claim to fame is that in the summer before it opened I delivered scaffolding to the building behind.

Not that I was a scaffolder  I was just the lad who helped load and unload the stuff in the yard and who was sometimes allowed out from the Pottery Lane depot.

I am guessing it shut up shop in the late 1980’s, as the decks were cleared, and then later demolished, which like other pubs of the era meant it had a short life.

And because of its age was never going to be as an attractive place as the Salutation or Church Inn, but with the regeneration of the area which started with the new flats and houses, student accommodation and the new MMU site close by perhaps it could have a fresh lease of life.

Moreover with that fad for themed pubs it could offer up a slice of 70s Manchester when Hulme was new again and promised something different from what had been there before.

Pictures; The Gamecock, 2015, from the collection of Andy Robertson

*Pubs of Manchester, Past and Present, http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment