Tuesday 3 February 2015

The story of a Nokia 3310 part 4 ....... just how do you turn off predictive texting?

I have never been a fan of predictive text, more so when the mobile I am using is fifteen years old and I have long since forgotten how you navigate the menu.

But having become the proud owner of such an ancient but stylish and iconic phone I was determined to rediscover what to do.

Now when I owned a 3310 I have to confess I found it difficult to turn off that annoying aid to speed texting so I faced the task with little hope of a successful outcome.

But having obtained a charger for the machine, got my provider to send me a free sim card and successfully activated the card and added top up I was not about to give up.

Of course the manual would help but I had long lost mine and the machine I was about to play with came from Italy and I knew Simone had long since got rid of his manual.

But a manual I found by that simple process of going on line and typing “Nokia 3310 instruction manual.”

Now for someone who often downloads old and forgotten books which have been gathering dust on a library shelf in a university somewhere in the mid West of the USA I shouldn’t have been surprised.

But I was, thereby making the point of the story which is that almost anything can be found on that electonic highway of knowledge.

So predictive texting turned off, phone fully charged and I am about to embark on sending messages from the year 2000.

Of course there is that serious point that as technology whizzes along there is that danger that we will loose the keys to unlocking what we have so carefully placed in an electronic place.

Many years ago the BBC committed a vast amount of data to a system which became obsolete and which for a long time meant that it was inaccessible.

And I wounder how long it will be before the operating platforms and software we use to store so much that we cherish will also be unobtainable.

Not so a book of a photograph album, which sits there on that dusty shelf and just requires yo to open it.

Ah well there must be a lesson there but in the meantime how neat of the electronic information highway of the 21st century to provide me with a solution to a problem of one from a past age.

Picture; Simone’s Nokia 3310, 2011 from the collection of Andrew Simpson.

No comments:

Post a Comment