Saturday 13 December 2014

Walking through Stalybridge with memories of 40 years ago part 1 an art gallery and market hall

Now when we lived in Ashton, Stalybridge was where we went during the summer holidays.

It was usually because we had done Manchester the day before and fancied a walk out.

From Raynham Street it was a pleasant enough walk along Beaufort Road and on to Stamford Road and then down into the town.

And depending on how sunny it was we might dawdle in the park promising ourselves a few in the Sycamore on the way back.

And here I have a confession because I have no recollection of visiting the art gallery or the Market Hall in fact I am not sure what we did.

But to be fair we are going back 40 years which is why I welcome Peter’s paintings which are part of his Stalybridge series.

More recently we made an effort to visit the art gallery which I wish we had done all those years ago.

And it is an odd thing about returning to a place that you haven’t been to in decades because the transformation can be dramatic.

I don’t remember the one way system or some of the open spaces and still have not found a date for when the market hall closed.

But there will be someone who does and I hope they will tell me.

And that pretty much is that except to reflect on the Sycamore for which I have very fond memories.

I toyed with calling in but there are some things that should just be left as fond memories.

Painting; Astley Cheetam Library, Victoria Market Stalybridge,  © 2014 Peter Topping, Paintings from Pictures
Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment