Tuesday 9 December 2014

Down at Ayres Road at another old factory

I am back with images of some of our recent industrial landscape which I suspect will soon be gone.  

We are at the Jesse Oldfield Bakery on Brixham Street, Ayres Road and Andy Robertson who took the pictures told me

“for a brief period ten or so years ago I cleaned their office carpets, so I have an attachment to this place. 

The rather large office was on the first floor but you'd be amazed at how many ingrained raisins I had to get rid of!  

I was surprised to see the gates closed and I could only see one car. 

Being so quick on the uptake it only took me about two hours to think perhaps they had closed down.


In January 2014 it was about to close losing 60 jobs. 

It being a part of the Blue Foods Group. 

In 1969, Knightsbridge Cake Manufacturers were on the site.

Given how the large the site is, it seems hard to imagine any other company moving in, but who knows?”


Pictures; Jesse Oldfield Bakery, 2014, from the collection of Andy Robertson

8 comments:

  1. Hi ,I worked in knightbridge cakes, around 1966 for about 4 years , best time of my life ,with some wonderful people,then it changed its name to Jess Oldfield Bakery I worked on draw plates ovens,and peel ovens also weighing the ingredients and mixing the ingredients, the work was hard, but the people were smashing, and would do anything for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father had the painting and decorating contract with Knightsbridge Cakes from the late 70's until the 90's and as a teenager I often helped out -when the bakery was usually closed. Worked also at the homes of the directors, including the elder Mr Oldfield. Lots of interesting characters and a fascinating place. Sad to see it gone. The company never really recovered after the loss of Woolworth's as its major customer followed by a later over ambitious expansion project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi regarding your father being the painter and decorator at Knightsbridge cakes,was his name David Munday ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worked here from 1989 untill 1997 best years of my life. Made lifelong friends we were more a family than colleagues

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved working there made lots of friends miss the place

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mum, Florence Pollard worked there in the 60's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved going to the " shop " at Jesse Oldfields...got some lovely cakes from there especially at Christmas Time...missed by many.

    ReplyDelete