Monday 10 November 2014

Another 20 objects in the story of Chorlton ........ nu 2 the Coronation party in the old school hall on the green

I am too young to remember the coronation of the Queen, but then I was just four.

But there will be people in this picture who will be able to recall vividly that day back in June 1953 and perhaps even what was served up at the party.

Many of course watched it live on television with some buying a set especially for the occasion.

But most would have heard the ceremony via the wireless or caught it later at the cinema with plenty more settling down to a street party.

Sadly it was not be one of those flaming Junes when the sun cracked the paving stones instead it was “mainly dull with severe thunderstorms and cold.”*

So I rather think the choice of the hall was inspired although I am guessing there may also have been other considerations which came into play.

The picture belongs to Bob Jones who has a store house of memories of growing up here in Chorlton.

For me over and above the event what fascinated me about the picture is that it is one of the only images I have seen of the old school hall on the green.

By the time I had arrived in Chorlton it had long since parted company with education and served as workshop and later a set of offices before being converted into residential accommodation.

I bet there will be other pictures but so far I have only come across one other.

All of which makes it quite remarkable and perhaps will open up stories of that Coronation party and others here in Chorlton.

Picture; the Coronation party, June 1953, from the collection of Bob Jones

*June 1953, Monthly Weather Report of Meteorological Office, M.O. 568, http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/k/n/Jun1953.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment