Friday 31 October 2014

Back visiting that old station on Westmount Road nine months later

Now they say you should never go back to your childhood haunts, especially if you have been away for a long time.

It is a rule I break all the time and as a result I am often disappointed at the mismatch between what I remember and what I see now.

And Eltham Park station is just such a place.

Back in February my friend Chrissie had visited the place and photographed the building, and today she went back.

I had hoped that in the months since her visit someone had breathed new life into the place.

But sadly not so, and it is a shame.

It was never a station I knew well.

Living on Well Hall Road I got off at the station by the Pleasaunce so I never really knew Eltham Park but for those who did this must be a sad ending.

According to Discover Eltham* this was the original station building for what was Shooters Hill and Eltham Park “having between the wars become a parade of shops; no 96 with its distinctive upper floor was the original entrance to the booking hall.”

The station’s name was changed to Eltham Park in 1927 and was closed in 1985.

Since then it has been a series of retail units overshadowed by the shops further along Westmount Road.


Pictures; courtesy of Chrissie Rose 2014

*On Westmount Road with ST TIO PARADE in January 2014, http://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/on-westmount-road-with-st-tio-parade-in.html

**Discover Eltham and its Environs, Darrell Spurgeon, 1992, revised edition 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment