Thursday 25 September 2014

The Progress Estate, just one year off a century

Now the blog is read pretty much everywhere.

This is not a boast, that is something I am too modest to do but since November 2011 when it began it has been read by lots of people across the globe.

So with that in mind I wanted to show Well Hall off to the world.

So here are three pictures taken by Jean Low and her husband of the Progress Estate.

They feature the different styles that were built and capture what makes the estate a much sought after place to live and one which many look back on with fond memories.

And that includes me who moved to Well Hall Road in 1964 when the Progress Estate was almost fifty years old.

If you live in Eltham its history is well known and for those who don’t I shall just say it was built in 1915 by the Government as homes for the workers at the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich and was originally called the Well Hall Estate before changing its name after it had been bought by the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society.

Now that just leaves me waiting for someone to take a picture of 294 Well Hall Road where we lived from 1964 till 1991.

I know I should have taken one when we lived there but I didn't.

Well you tend to take a place for granted and I have to admit I miss it.

But when ever I pass the place it looks as good as I remember it.

And if you want more follow the story at Living in a piece of history, the Progress Estate Well Hall, in the spring of 1964, http://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/living-in-piece-of-history-progress.html

Pictures; courtesy of Jean Low

No comments:

Post a Comment