Friday 19 September 2014

On stumbling across the grave of Margaret Emily Shepphard in Southern Cemetery

You would think that it should be easy to find somebody, born in 1859, who died in 1898 and was buried in Southern Cemetery.

But not so.  A trawl of the records drew a blank for both Mrs Shepphard who was buried in 1898 and her husband who was interred 40 years later in the same plot.

Now such searches are part of the daily routine and it is common to come up against some dead ends, but a variation in spelling or recourse to a named relative usually gets something.

So is its more than a little frustrating when despite all the tricks of the trade Mr and Mrs Shepphard remain completely elusive.

Of course I can guarantee that someone will strike lucky and let me know which will be a bonus.

If we could be a relative which would be fascinating but more likely it will be someone fired up to prove me wrong and demonstrate their skills at research.

Either way we will all be the winners.

I have to admit that sometimes you do draw a blank, and well remember idly searching for myself in the historical records and not finding me for months which was a bit of  a worry, but then I turned up which gives me confidence that Margaret Emily Shepphard and her husband Edwin Francis will do so too.

In the meantime I will content myself with the knowledge that they are buried in a prominent part of the cemetery and so must have cut something of a sway.

And I was right, within hours of posting Andy Roberston succeeded where I had failed,  Margaret Emily Shepphard, "nee Galloway, born Bowdon, Cheshire, daughter of a cotton goods merchant, arried 1885 Edwin Francis Sheppard, born 1849 in Blackburn.

In 1891 living at 3, The Beeches, off Barlow Moor Road, with daughter Rhoda aged 4. Edwin a sanitary inspector (sounds a fun job!)

In 1901 Edwin still at the Beeches but now a Bank Mager.

In 1911 Edwin at 'Lismore', 18 Darley Avenue, Didsbury, a modest little 16 room number and still a Bank manager.

In 1938 he left £61,761."

Enough said, and thank you Andy

Picture; the grave of Mr and Mrs Shepphard, Southern Cemetery, September 2014, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

Additional research Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment