Thursday 7 August 2014

The Big Western a traditional Victorian pub on Great Western Street

I have to say I had pretty much forgotten how big the Western Hotel on Great Western Street was until Andy sent me some pictures of the pub the other day.

It is not one I had ever been in despite passing it on many occasions.
And as you do spurred on by the photographs I went looking for its history, which is there to read on the excellent Pubs of Manchester site.

So rather that just rewrite the piece I suggest you look up the entry.

Suffice to say it was built in 1879 as the Western Hotel, changed its name to the Big Western to avoid confusion with the Great Western on Sloane Street and closed in 2013.*

And for those with a fasciantion for ghost signs there is one here on the side of the wall not far from impressive gateway with its headstone showing the date of 1879.

So there you have it which only leaves me to make that appeal about anyone who has stories of the place or old pictures to get in touch.

Pictures; the Big Western, 2014, from the collection of Andy Robertson

*The Big Western, Great Western Street, the Pubs of Manchester, http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/big-western-great-western-street.html

No comments:

Post a Comment