Saturday 7 June 2014

The murals of David Vaughan


The Jubilee celebrations made me think back thirty-five years to the earlier bash in the summer of 1977.

And as you do I was reminded of what I was doing which was I recall still bruising from the end of a long relationship and living alone in a house in Ashton Under Lyne.

All around me in the tiny streets of terraced houses there were street parties and for the next few months I passed a mural on the side of the butcher’s shop in the next road.

It was painted by the local artist David Vaughan * and was a bright colourful depiction of the queen.  Later still I came across another of his paintings on Beaufort Street in Castlefield.  It is behind the reconstructed Roman fort and once showed a unit of the Roman army marching across the wall of the railway viaduct.

Sadly I didn’t get a picture of either painting and now that of the Queen has long gone while the Roman soldiers are fading and peeling, but there are some marvellous images painted by him at https://www.thejoyousliving.com/art-david-vaughan-life-work/

David Vaughan was born in 1944, studied in Ashton, and Bradford before going on to the Slade School of Art.

Picture; Beaufort Street in Castlefield from David Vaughan

1 comment:

  1. My dad helped David with the mural depicted.

    ReplyDelete