Tuesday 10 June 2014

So what is the story behind the arched wall of the house on Chester Road?

I am intrigued by Andy’s picture and I would like to know more about the building and the story behind this odd bit of design.

We are on Chester Road close to the entrance to Gorse Park and I can’t quite make up my mind about the arch.

It was clearly designed to let light into the well behind it but that begs the question of why it was constructed in the first place.

I thought it might have been part of what looks to be an addition at the side of the house which is not quite in keeping with the rest of the front elevation.

That said I think our arched wall may be an even later addition and was part of something else.

The lower half of the side elevation shows evidence of another building which is there by the line of stones in the brick work and the apertures which may have taken roof beams.

But I am no expert and someone I hope will come along with a perfectly sound explanation, plus pictures and documents.

As it is I have no access to the street directories for this section of Chester Road, and I can’t source a picture of the building but that will come with time and then I shall be able to put names to the property and a date.

So, all still to play for.

All of which just leaves me to thank Andy again who is in that long line of photo-historians who is patiently recording the city and surrounding areas as they are today with often a glance over his shoulder at what they were once.

And it is an important task because we tend to take these buildings for granted, and then when they have gone quickly forget that they ever existed.

Already some that Andy took only months ago have gone.or have undergone extensive refurbishment as to make them unrecognisable.


Pictures; from the collection of Andy Robertson

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew, I have a photograph of this building from 1904 which shows that it was exactly the same then.

    ReplyDelete