Wednesday 14 May 2014

So why do they change the name of pubs? The Sherwood in Fallowfield

Now I am old enough to whinge when places get new names especially pubs

And part of that is simply that the change becomes a challenge to me to remember what it was called before some whiz kid in an office somewhere decided that it was time to reinvent the place and call it something totally new and out of keeping with the surroundings.

It happened to me recently in Fallowfield when I passed the Sherwood Inn with its new name of the Orange Grove, and for a while I pondered on how this could be.

I regularly went passed it in the 1970s when it was the Sherwood Inn which makes perfect sense given that it stands on Sherwood Street.

Moreover there has been a pub with that name on that corner from at least 1854 and if I did the research no doubt I would find it stretched back even earlier.

Now this I know because I am looking at the OS map for that year and it is not only marked very boldly but what is now Sherwood Street was but a lane with the odd house along it running beside the Fallowfield Brook.

Now with the rant out of the way to the picture, which is another from Andy Robertson.

Yesterday he photographed one of those shops selling e cigarettes and mused that this was the business of the moment having  replaced a charity shop.

And today like a warning of things to come his picture of the Orange Grove was an accompanied by the comment that “someone alerted me that this may be pulled down. 

As far as I know the Sherwood was rebuilt 1976.

My wife's Dad and his parents lived on Sherwood Street and may have supped a few pints in the original Sherwood. My wife's mother's parents also had a corner shop nearby which is probably how my wife's parents met."

So I rather think we should all be thankful that Andy is out there capturing places before they vanish with perhaps also the thought that I hope he doesn’t take a picture of our house.

Picture; from the collection of Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment