Saturday 22 February 2014

Pondering on the future of 9 Barlow Moor Road in Didsbury

9 Barlow Moor Road, 2013
Well here is one of those ongoing tales.  

This is number 9 Barlow Moor Road and for as long as I can remember it has been empty.

That said there will be some keen resident of this end of Didsbury who will know exactly when it was last in use.

Andy who took the photograph remembers that it was once a fish and chip shop and asks “what is to become of the chippy? 

This building has been derelict ten or twenty years. I used to get my chips there in the mid seventies when I couldn't be bothered to cross Wilmslow Road to go to Fongs on School Lane. 

It used to be run by three ladies.”

Now I know what it might become, because there has been a planning application to turn it into a cafe with a shop on the first floor.*

That was back in November 2013 but when I last passed recently it was still boarded up.

And back in 1973
But these things have a habit of taking a long time.

So I began instead to look for old images of the property but these are to find.

There are a few which give a glimpse of the place but that is about it.

And added to these there are references to it in the street directories but again they do not help me much.

So I shall for now leave number 9 awaiting its development and hope someone will come up with either a picture or some information.

Pictures; number 9 from the collection of Andy Robertson, February 2013, and in 1973 taken by 
J.F.Hughes, m21469, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council

*Manchester City Council online planning
http://www.publicaccess.manchester.gov.uk/associateddocs/MCCList1.aspx?104341/FO/2013/S2

No comments:

Post a Comment