Wednesday 12 February 2014

Coming soon........ stories of Canada’s history

St John River, 2011,  where our great uncle first worked in Canada,
I am quite excited that my cousin Chris from Ontario has agreed to share some of his research and stories of Canada’s past.

Our great uncle crossed the Atlantic in 1914 as a British Home Child and was followed just eleven years later by his sister on an Empire assisted passage.

Talking to Chris the other day it transpires that we have other connections in that we can both trace family from Germany and he too is fascinated by all things historical.

So it follows that his first contribution will be on a “small number of Mennonite families who arrived from Pennsylvania to settle along the Grand River in southern Ontario in 1800.”

Now I like my history messy and so I am drawn to a tale which mixes the American Revolution, a  bunch of Empire Loyalists and members of the Six Nations together and in the process tells me things I did not know.

So there you have it first story coming soon, with pictures by Andrea Pember.

Picture; the St John River, © Angela Faubert , 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment