Monday 16 December 2013

Tales of Eltham ........ the competition

Now I was tempted to take part in the Tales of Eltham story competition, but as I live 230 miles away and left Eltham in 1973 I rather think it would be a bit naughty.

So instead I shall just feature the event quoting directly from Eltham Arts.*

Short Story Competition

After the success of the Eltham poetry competition, Eltham Arts is now organising "Tales of Eltham" - a short story competition.

Entries of up to 300 words are being invited from adults and children on the theme of an Eltham Experience. 

There are leaflets in the town centre and you can read about it here. This competition is FREE to enter - join in again and be part of the great celebratory event. This will be held at the Eltham Centre as part of World Book Night on 23rd April 2014

There will be winners and special awards, and many of the short stories will be displayed in an exhibition. 

The poetry competition was very popular and on display at five locations. It is hoped that we can again publish an Eltham book and there is discussion about some short stories being developed into plays... 

Entries have to be in by 21st February 2014, but get writing now.

And I if I didn’t live so far away I might just feel that the tale of me, an outsized smoked glass plate and a scratched record of I’ll Try Anything by Dusty Springfield which I lost in the King’s Arms sometime on Christmas Eve 1968 might just be worth the retelling, although I doubt that my girlfriend of the time or Maurice who had been at the bus stop an hour before would share either the funny side of the event or have been over bothered at the mystery that followed.

Such are the unwritten experiences of an Eltham lad far from home.

Picture, The Tudor Barn, 2013 from the collection of Scott McDonald

* Eltham Arts, http://www.elthamarts.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment