Wednesday 4 December 2013

Bloggers Beware, a story and a very real concern

Mr Higginbotham ploughing Row Acre circa 1894
Now I am fully aware that once you post on the net all you say, all you have researched including original source material,  photographs and ideas are up for grabs.

You always hope that if the story is good, the material interesting and stimulating it will chime in with people’s own experiences and lead them to take the study further.

But and it is a big but you are also at the mercy of anyone who wants to claim the material as their own, reproduce bits of it often out of context or in using the content mangle the message.

When I began writing for the net I took the simple decision that if I could not  gain permission to reproduce something in support of a story it would lie on the table untouched and unused.

And if permission is granted the author gets the full credit, with a link and always the text is submitted to them for approval, even if all I used is a picture.

So I was interested in a post on a site I have just discovered* which highlights what can happen when an article is picked up and reproduced by a daily newspaper.

Now given that my other golden rule is never to reproduce what someone has done before and done better I shall just direct you to Ms William’s post on Bloggers Beware at http://waywardwomen.wordpress.com/2013/07/01/bloggers-beware/

The article highlights what can happen to your work and I hope rises the issue for wider debate.

Picture;

*Wayward Women, Victorian England’s Female Offenders, http://waywardwomen.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment