Saturday 9 November 2013

The Royal Arthur, 1940

As we head towards Remembrance Day I have decided to feature a set of photographs of the men and women who lived through the two great world wars.

This is another from the collection of Graham Gill who so often provides me with both pictures and encouragement.

Yesterday I featured his uncle Tommy on his wedding day in 1945 and here is Tommy again in 1940.

Graham writes, “1940 Royal Arthur. The first Royal Arthur was previously a Butlins holiday camp and was commissioned as a training establishment on 22 September 1939. 

It served during the Second World War, becoming the central reception depot for new naval entries after HMS Raleigh was transferred to the Army in February 1944. Royal Arthur continued in service until being paid off in 1946.”


Picture; courtesy of Graham Gill

2 comments:

  1. my father R CRAWFORD was at royal arthur from aug 1940 until jan 1941 i am trying to find a class photo can you help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I could ask Graham who lent me the picture. Let me know and I send him a message.

    ReplyDelete