Monday 30 November 2020

In St Peter's Square in the summer of 1905

This much I know.  This is St Peters Square in Stockport sometime around the summer of 1905.

In the distance lurking just to the left of the horse drawn tram is “the bronze statue of Richard Cobden who was the MP for Stockport from 1841-47. 

It stands on a pedestal of Aberdeen granite and was unveiled on Saturday November 27th 1883 by Miss Cobden, daughter of the statesmen.”*

And that is about the extent of my knowledge.

I know that in the square there was also the New Theatre and Opera House which was erected in 1888 and could seat 2,220 people and that the Grand Theatre of Varieties was opened in September 1901.

But which of the two is featured to the right of the picture I am hoping someone will tell me.

That said I doubt that there is anyone who will recognise the place as it was then, but gain I bet there some vivid memories of its transformation.

*Kelly’s Directory of Cheshire, 1902

Picture; St Peter’s Square, Stockport from the series Town & City, by Tuck & Sons, 1905 courtesy of Tuck DB, http://tuckdb.org/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment