Saturday 1 June 2013

Spitalfields Life ........ a blog to follow

“In the midst of life I woke to find myself living in an old house beside Brick Lane in the East End of London.”

As an opening line for a blog I have to say it has something, and so does the blog, which is a comment on life in Spitalfields, past and present. Spitalfields Life http://spitalfieldslife.com/

37 Spital Square
What I like about the stories is that they recreate life in an area roaming over time and packed with rich detail and above all it’s the sheer quirky idea.

“Over the coming days, weeks, months and years, I am going to write every single day and tell you about life here in Spitalfields at the heart of London. How can I ever describe the exuberant richness and multiplicity of culture in this place to you?  This is both my task and my delight.”

And that is certainly what you get, everything from night life in modern Spitalfields to what came out of a well which had been in use since the Middle Ages.

The depth of scholarship is impressive and the variety of stories is enticing.  Now as a south east London boy born in Lambeth, and who grew up in Peckham and Eltham, Spitalfields was off the beaten track.  Even more so after forty years of living in the North, but I read “the Gentle Author’s daily posts and have yet to be disappointed.


Pictures;  37 Spital Square, courtesy of Spitalfields Life http://spitalfieldslife.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment