Thursday 17 January 2013

The Twisted Wheel


I never visited the Twisted Wheel but I know plenty of people who did.

It opened in 1963 and closed in 1971.  I had arrived in the city in the summer of ’69 but was too absorbed by student life to visit a club which was literally at the end of the road where our college was.  And when I began to seriously explore Manchester the place had gone, so very much my loss.

It would be another few years before I washed up inside the club by which time it was called Placemate and I guess was a bit different.  Still I enjoyed my nights there and alternated between it and Band on Wall.

Now I am not one to rehash the research of others and so if you want to know more about either of the clubs there are excellent histories at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_Wheel_Club and
http://www.manchesterbeat.com/venues/manchester_cbd/twistedwheel/twistedwheel.php

All of which is another plug for that idea that history is not just what happened a hundred years ago.  Bet this story gets some memories going.

Picture; from the collection of Graham Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment