Wednesday 9 January 2013

In Furness Vale



One of the nice things about leaving your comfort zone is how rewarding it can be.

So last night I accepted the invitation of the Furness Vale Local History Society and did a talk.

I have to be honest and admit that alighting from the train at Furness Vale Station was daunting. It was cold, wet and pretty empty.  But the company and staff at the Soldier Dick were welcoming and David my host at the Society made me feel at home.

And that was just the start.  On that wet very unpromising night nearly 30 people had turned which for a community of about a thousand people is not bad going.  And the added bonus was that my old pal Joe, came over from Disley to join in.

Now I have written about the society already and I am always impressed by the variety of their activities, and publications, ranging from a collection of historical photographs, a new book on the print works and a very interesting blog. http://furnesshistory.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00Z&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00Z&max-results=3

For anyone like me interested in history there is always something exciting about local groups who want to share their common history, exploring the memories, lives and landscape of where they live.

I rather think I will be going back to Furness Vale to enjoy some of their events.

Pictures; from the collection of Furness Vale Local History Society

No comments:

Post a Comment