Monday 27 August 2012

A book and a dilemma


I have never really known which to embrace as my own. 

I could go with the Andy Warhol promise “That everyone should have 15 minutes of fame” or that play on the famous message “the meek will inherit the Earth if that’s alright with you God.”

So I approach posting an update about the book on the history of Chorlton-cum-Hardy in the 19th century with care.

But as I am sitting here with a copy of the manuscript to proof read and six alternative new covers to choose from I can’t let the moment pass.

The manuscript arrived on Friday and for the first time here is a version that could be a book.  The layout is complete, the pictures are in place and all I have to do is read through it looking for mistakes.  Now anyone who knows me will smile that indulgent smile at the thought of me correcting anything.  I can’t spell, my fingers can miss whole words on the key board and I am to grammar what the Mary Celeste was to safe sailing.  But I am assured by the publisher that there will be someone else also checking the book.  So that is good then.

And it is exciting choosing a new cover.  I say six alternative covers but the reality is that it’s more, for along with the choice of a picture there is the lay out. But when has anything been easy.

Now that all about uses my 15 minutes so if it’s OK with everyone I will just leave the topic and go off looking for more Chorlton tram pictures which remain some of the most popular pictures on the blog.

And in the meantime there are the other stories about the book at http://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/A%20new%20book%20for%20Chorlton

Picture; from the collection of Carolyn Willitts

No comments:

Post a Comment