Sunday 26 February 2012

Cinemas I wish I had known



A few days ago I featured this picture of the Grosvenor Picture Palace and pointed out its connections with our own Palais de Luxe on Barlow Moor Road, and I suppose I should have shown the two together.

And I was reminded of this other picture of the Palais. It is a detail from a postcard sent in 1943 but judging by the cars must be much older. I like it because it gives an idea of the cast iron glass canopy which most cinemas had when new. Try as I may I cannot make out the detail on the film notice which would I hoped give an exact date but I shall continue to work on it.

Pictures; The Grosvenor Picture Palace from the collection of Andrew Simpson, the Palais de Luxe, May 1959, A H Downes, m09248, Courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, detail of the Palais de Luxe, circa 1930-40s from the Lloyd collection

No comments:

Post a Comment