Tuesday 2 February 2016

When you get it wrong ........ just own up ........ the corrected story of J & S Eyres of Miles Platting

Now I like the way that in the course of just 24 hours a story about a humble street drain cover excites a fair bit of interest and along the way corrects a little of what I had originally written and adds even more.*

J & S Eyres, Lord Street, 1963
It was Graham’s picture of a 1936 street grid that led me to J and S Eyres who made it.

They were a Manchester firm founded in 1897 and in 1911 were operating on Lord Street, Miles Platting and filed their last set of accounts in 1987.

At which stage I confess I got the wrong Lord Street citing the one near Strangeways which everyone knows is not Miles Platting.  Well everyone but me.

And so I have Edward Ball to thank for correcting me.  He very gently pointed out my mistake, offered up some pictures and thought that they might still be in business.

The street grid that started it all off, 1936
This was confirmed by Peter L Quinn who added that he had worked there for five years.

So there you have it which just leave me to thank Edward and Peter and hope that  this is just the start of the continuing story of J & S Eyres which in time will allow me to offer an update to the entry in Grace’s Guide to Industrial History.**

Location; Miles Plating, Manchester,




Pictures, Lord Street, showing J and S Eyres, 1963, T Brooks, m30010, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass and that street grid, 1936, courtesy of Graham Gill

*Street grids I have known part 2 ................... the story of J and S Eyres of Miles Platting, Manchester, http://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2016-02-01T03:30:00Z&max-results=7

** Grace’s Guide to Industrial History,  http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Main_Page

No comments:

Post a Comment