Thursday 19 November 2015

The New Inn at the Market Place ............ the bit of Buxton I missed

Now I thought I knew Buxton pretty well, after all I have visited the Opera House, sat in the gardens and even collected my share of water from St Ann’s Well.

But until Peter showed me his painting of the New Inn which is in the Market Place I realized I had never ventured up there.

And that is all the more surprising given that the Market Place is close to to  the Square so well within the tourist circuit.

Usually however we would have come into Buxton from Dove Holes and if we weren’t stopping off to visit people we headed on down and parked up in the shopping centre which then offered the usual old haunts.

In the summer the gardens always won out with just a passing nod to the Crescent before lingering in the old Buxton Baths and slipping into one of the grand hotels there about.

But even in summer Buxton can be a tad colder than Manchester and once the familiar places were done we were away which on reflection was a bit of a mistake.

So next time we arrive there I rather think we will push on to Market Place and the King’s Head

Painting; the New Inn Buxton © 2015 Peter Topping

Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk

Facebook: Paintings from Pictures https://www.facebook.com/paintingsfrompictures

No comments:

Post a Comment