Sunday 24 May 2015

The Real Lives of Roman Britain ............. one to read

I have never lost my fascination for Roman history, and so I am looking forward to reading The Real Lives of Roman Britain by Guy De La Bedoyere.*

According to the publishers Mr De la Bédoyère “introduces Fortunata the slave girl, Emeritus the frustrated centurion, the grieving father Quintus Corellius Fortis, and the brilliant metal worker Boduogenus, among numerous others. 

Through a wide array of records and artifacts, the author introduces the colourful cast of immigrants who arrived during the Roman era while offering an unusual glimpse of indigenous Britons, until now nearly invisible in histories of Roman Britain.”

Anyone who watched Time Team will be familiar with Mr De la Bédoyère who was a regular contributor as well appearing in other programmes and writing a series of books.

And this is my sort of history.

Added to which I ordered it up from Chorlton Book Shop which can be guaranteed to   get it for you the following day.

Now I could have course slipped back and used Amazon but unless you shop locally you lose the shop so I reckon this way we all win.

Picture; cover from The Real Lives of Roman Britain

* The Real Lives of Roman Britain,  Guy De La Bedoyere, Yale University, £20

** Chorlton Book Shop, http://www.fire-hire.co.uk/bookshop.html

No comments:

Post a Comment