Sunday 7 September 2014

Wearing Hospital Blues in Flixton Red Cross Hospital sometime during the Great War

Now I am back again with another of those Red Cross Hospitals from the Great War.

They are a tiny bit of the history of that conflict which I knew nothing about until quite recently.

I first came across them when I discovered the existence of one in Chorlton on Edge Lane which was quickly followed by another on Manchester Road.

Both were located in the large Sunday School buildings beside local churches and the Manchester Road one is still there today now home to the Edge Theatre Company.

Others were in private homes donated for the duration of the War by their owners, and here is Wibbersley Red Cross Hospital in Flixton.

At present I have no idea if the house still exists or even exactly where it was, but I know someone will.

In the meantime I shall close with the comment written on the back.  It is undated and unsigned but offers up a little about the house.

This is the matron standing in front of the House.

This photo was taken soon after it was opened.  You will see the soldiers are in Hospital Dress, but of course they have to wear Hospital Clothes now.”

The distinctive blue uniform was made up of a blue single-breasted jacket with a white lining, blue trousers, a white shirt and a red tie.

They were often known as Hospital blues or ‘Convalescent Blues‘ and were made of a flannel and flannelette combination.

I doubt that they were that popular given that most were ill fitting because they came in just three standard sizes.

But they would have been a familiar sight in the streets of all our towns, cities and villages.

Picture; Flixton Red Croass Hospita, from the collection of David Harrop

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrew, I know this is years late but thought I'd add somethign to this.

    In regards to "At present I have no idea if the house still exists or even exactly where it was, but I know someone will." Wibbersley hospital was located where Wibbersley Park now is in Flixton, off Irlam Road.
    I grew up on that street and would often dig in my back garden and find shards of the plates etc...used at the house (one of the factors that led to me getting a degree in Archaeology haha).
    In year 4 at school I did a project on it which was shown to the Wibbersley and Thorne society but unfortunately I no longer have a copy. I managed to find quite a few photos at Flixton library however of the soldiers who were treated there, so perhaps you could look there?

    ReplyDelete