Friday 15 August 2014

So who remembers the Robin Hood on Upper Lloyd Street?

This is one of those buildings I can’t even admit to knowing about.

It is on Upper Lloyd Street just before Moss Lane East and I suppose if I had thought about it I might have put it down to once being a pub which is exactly what Andy who took the picture thought.

“I am pleased with this, passed it a few times over the last twenty years or so and always thought it must have been a pub.”

And by a diligent search of the Manchester Image Collection he discovered this is what it was back in 1971, when Mr A. Dawson snapped.*

Since then I have discovered a reference to it on the Manchester Pub Blog which says it “was an odd looking grey brick Robinson's house on Upper Lloyd Street in Greenheys (or Moss Side), and one of many pre-match boozers frequented by Blues.  

The Robin Hood closed well before Manchester City moved from Moss Side to Bradford and has been an appliances shop for years.”**

Now I would recommend looking up the entry which has more information along with a series of photographs of its customers.

Sadly I can’t find a date for when it was opened.  It was not there in the early decades of the last century but more than that I don’t know until I go looking at the street directories.

Nor do I know when it closed but I bet someone will come forwards and help me out, perhaps even supplying some more pictures along with a few stories of happy evenings inside.

Picture; of the Robin Hood today at 37-39 Upper Lloyd Street from the collection of Andy Robertson, and back in 1971 by A. Dawson m50395, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

*Manchester Image Collection, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

**Pubs of Manchester, http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/robin-hood-lloyd-street-north.html

4 comments:

  1. My Grandfather Harold Allan Easton Ramsden worked here as a waiter and married Emily Robinson, a widowed daughter of the Robinsons. This was a disgrace because he was only a waiter. They were disinherited. In 1910 their daughter Evelyn was born. At that time Robin Hood Hotel was a hotel, restaurant and pub. According to the family history, there were seperate entrances for each. Het hotel existed for some time then, so I think it must have been built before 1900.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that is the back entrance to the pub. The front was far grander and opened onto Maine Road facing Ruskin Avenue where my Mum lived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in the chippy on great western street between Acomb Street and Kippax Street between the fifties and sixties.the Robin Hood was a thriving pub during that period, although I was to young to frequent its atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived a few doors down '59-'69. It was a thriving pub, which my father used to frequent.

    ReplyDelete