Saturday 2 August 2014

More trams in Chorlton from Sunday July 27 when the sun shone

I have to say on a grey wet day with a sky like lead that just a week ago the sun was cracking the paving stones.

And as if to celebrate the weather back then there were trams running up from St Werburghs, along Mauldeth Road West and Hardy Lane, crossing the meadows and on to Sale.

They were doing the daylight tests following on from night trips back in June.

Now I missed them but Michael Thompson was there and took a series of pictures along with a short film which mark one of those little historic moments.

I only wish he had been snapping just over a century ago when the Corporation trams rumbled up from Barlow Moor Road past our road.

Not that he would thank me for that.

Here are three from that day.

I had promised some during the week but instead chose to travel the trams to Ashton, Bury and Altrincham, and now there is every prospect that within a few months I will be out heading south across the Mersey all the way to the Airport.

Now that will be fun.


Pictures; day runs of the Metrolink trams, July 27, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment