Tuesday 29 July 2014

On Upper Brook Street looking at a lost pub

Now this is one of those pubs that passed me by and yet I should have visited it.

It was the Blackstock on Upper Brook Street, beside Blackstock Street and it was still serving pints in the 1990s.

What always makes it special for me is that it was close to the Plaza that eating place which will be fondly remembered by many.*

But then again thinking about it by the time we had hit the Plaza the the pubs would all be closed and anyway a visit there was really just an after thought to a night in the city centre.

I am sure there were many things on the menu but I can only ever remember eating the chicken or meat bryani, half of which cost 3/6d in 1970 and was more than enough for two.

The chicken arrived on a pile of yellow rice and raw onion with a small pot of the curry sauce and after vast quantities of cheap student union beer it went down well.

So back to the Blackstock of which I know virtually nothing.

In 1911 it was run by a Mr Frank Morris and beyond it were the quaintly named, Spring, Summer and Autumn Streets.

I have only been in the place since it became a computer shop but standing there I have pondered on its earlier existence.

It was one of those many roomed pubs which allowed you to squirrel yourself away with a few friends and more than likely be missed by that person who never bought a round and never wanted to leave till last orders.

And Andy who took the pictures and put me to shame for never recording the place commented that “I took a few photos this morning, at least it wasn't raining. Nothing very interesting but...this was the Blackstock on Upper Brook Street, near junction with Hathersage Road.

Since the mid 1990s it has been the home of Micro Direct and Ian has been a regular customer for most of that time. He warned me they were about to close down, hence my journey!”

Pictures; courtesy of Andy Robertson, July 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment