Thursday 10 April 2014

Memories of a Chorlton childhood, ………. part one starting at Whalley Range School in the September of 1937

An occasional series where people who lived in Chorlton describe the place they knew.

Now I have known David for a few years and he is a regular contributor to the blog ranging from his stories of Duffy who guarded the old brick works to the café bars and jazz clubs of the city in the 1960s.

And today and for the next few weeks he has kindly agreed to share some of the memories of his mum who grew up off Oswald Road in the 1930s and 40s.

As Jeanne Herring she started at  Whalley Range School in 1937.

“Starting at Whalley Range was the big moment in my life. Uniform was a problem as I had not yet been given a grant although books were free for me. Mother managed the basics but my raincoat was one of my sister’s, Norah’s that she had dyed dark brown. Not the right brown unfortunately and I worried about that.

At this time the school was a big detached house with its own grounds on the corner of Burford Road and Withington Road. I used to walk the two miles each morning and afternoon, taking sandwiches for lunch.

I really loved my time at that school.

The new friends I made, the interesting subjects and the games; hockey, netball and tennis.

I remember Miss Lamont and Miss Evans the P.E.teachers; Miss Garner, Maths; Miss Heyes, History; Miss Island, Geography and Miss Handforth, English and Latin.

There was another building, an overspill on Burford Road itself, called Alder House.

Strangely, in the 1970’s, as Senior Teacher at St. Joseph’s High School for Girls, I had to visit one of our pupils in the same building, which was being used as a sort of reformatory.

I have been trying to remember some of the names of my friends and can recall quite a few.

Marjorie Bartlett lived in one of the council houses opposite Chorlton Park School.

Like me she loved games and although small, was a great centre in Netball.

I played centre defence. Mavis Mckenzie lived on Brundrett’s Road and often called for me at the weekend to go to Longford Park and play tennis.

Barbara Ratcliffe’s father owned a coal merchants business.

They had a large house on Atholl Road.

During the war they went to live in Marple Bridge, away from the air raids and she invited me once for the weekend. I thought they must be really rich for the food at breakfast was served on the sideboard and you just helped yourself.

The rug beside my bed was so thick I could bury my feet in it.

For all that Barbara was not at all snobbish and we had great times together.

She was rather big and thought that all games were a dreadful bore but she had a great sense of humour and we got on really well.

Patricia Prudames was a tall redheaded girl whose mother bred dogs, dachshunds. She and Priscilla Poole had both gone to the private preparatory school attached to Whalley Range called Crimsworth and situated on Upper Chorlton Road.

I’m glad to say that they still had to pass the scholarship to get to Whalley Range"

© Jeanne O’Reilly (nee Herring)

Pictures; from the collection of Sally Dervan

Next; part two ........ homework, sports and that new gaberdine coat

No comments:

Post a Comment