Monday 3 February 2014

You can never have enough books on Eltham

My copy of Eltham Through Time arrived a few days ago and of course I read it in one go.

There are 96 pages, and 180 images of Eltham, which mix the old and vanished Eltham with the same places today.

Now I do have to admit to a very personal interest in the book.  Like many people who read the blog I grew up in Eltham and look back with fond memories of Well Hall, the High Street and Crown Woods.

But like Ms Bedford I also write for Amberley Publishing who produced Eltham Through Time and so I have a very real professional interest in the book.

Like all those in the series the quality of the images and the juxtaposition of old and new pictures makes the book a fascinating read.

Leafing through the pages for a second time I have come across some old favourites along with some that are totally new to me. The added attraction of this edition is that over half are in colour and that makes for a nice contrast with the old black and white photographs.

Now just after it arrived my newsletter from the Eltham Society fell onto the door mat with a review of the book, but as you would expect I have left the review by Eltham historian Mr Kennett till the weekend.

So until then I shall just close with one outrageous piece of self promotion and mention Didsbury Through Time.

Like Ms Bedford’s book it contains 96 pages with a mix of old and new images but also some paintings by local artist Peter Topping and some stories of the people behind the doors of the houses, shops and grand mansions of this township a little over five miles from Manchester.

But that as they say is another book.

*Didsbury Through Time

No comments:

Post a Comment