Thursday 20 February 2014

The end of Grove Market on Court Yard

© Chrissie Rose
The price of preserving the past is eternal vigilance which I am the first to admit is to misquote what the American Abolitionist and liberal activist Wendell Phillips said in 1852.*

But it serves the purpose for today which is to revisit that simple observation that often great chunks of history disappear without us noticing until it is too late.

So with that in mind I always carry a camera and snap away whenever I come across a building in danger.

And I also plunder the photograph albums of friends, colleagues and anyone who has taken a picture of places I like in the last three decades.

So here is the Grove Market on Court Yard or what is left of it taken by Chrissie Rose in December 2103.

I doubt that many people recorded the passing of this little 1960s shopping arcade, and I doubt that there are not that many images of what it was like before that.

Picture; Grove Market, December 5th, 2013 courtesy of Chrissie Rose

*And depending on the book of quotations you have at hand any one of a number of politicians and statesman down the ages on both sides of Atlantic.


No comments:

Post a Comment