Monday 17 February 2014

A little bit of the 1950s with Eagle Times

Winter 2013
Now they say that nostalgia ain’t what it used to be, and they may have a point.

My friend Bernard is forever telling me that things were better when we were growing up in the 1950s.

He claims the summer’s were warmer, it always snowed on Christmas Day and Wagon Wheels were twice the size they are today.

I doubt any of the claims and have to concede that however pleasant my childhood there was a darker side to it.

That nasty war in Korea dragged on till I was four we grew up in the shadow of the “Bomb” and not all of my junior school teachers were nice to know.

That said I find myself wandering back into that decade more often than I used to.

Keen readers will have followed the Eagle posts which reflect on that comic and its place in my childhood.*

And so I am back with Eagle Times and the Eagle Society, which are ”dedicated to the memory of EAGLE - Britain's National Picture Strip Weekly - the leading Boy's magazine of the 1950s and 1960s.”**

Summer 2013
I have been a member since the late 1980s with the occasional lapse due to forgetting to pay the subscription.

My interest started as a bit of nostalgia mixed with a desire to meet people who were selling copies of the comic.

And I remain a an ardent reader, which long ago moved away from just celebrating te Eagle to exploring many aspects of the youth culture, which for a pretend historian like me adds much to what I know.

So that is it.  It just leaves me to direcdt you to the site.

Picture; Winter and Summer 2013 covers of Eagle Times.





*The Eagle, http://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/The%20Eagle

**Eagle Times, http://eagle-times.blogspot.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment