Saturday 23 February 2013

Standing by the Rochdale Pioneers


I shall be voting for the Rochdale Pioneer Museum this week because it has been shortlisted in a competition.

Now I don't usually do competitions, mainly because I never win and more to the point I am lazy.

But given that I can't win anything and the competition is part of Museums at Night I am up for it.

 The Museums at Night project is a three day event stretching over the nights of May 16th through to May 18th and will take place in hundreds of museums, galleries and heritage sites across the UK.

Even more exciting is that the Rochdale Pioneer Museum has been short listed to participate in a competition which if they win will “bring acclaimed contemporary artist Susan Forsyth to Rochdale for an event involving the whole community.

We are competing against the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Sheffield’s Kelham Island Museum and Liverpool’s Victoria Museum Gallery and the decision will go to a public vote. 

Voting opens at 11am on Tuesday 19th Feb and closes on Tuesday 5th March at 5pm. The winner will be announced on the 7th March.

If our bid is successful, a ‘Zusammen Choir Procession’, led by Susan Forsyth, and involving the whole community will take place around Rochdale Town Centre." From the museum's web site.

There will be those who say pitting one good museum against another is a bit invidious. On the other hand until I got wind of the competition I didn't know of the existence of the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, the Kelham Island Museum or The Victoria Museum Gallery, all of which I have now rectified and rather think each should have a place on the blog in the fullness of time.

So with that I shall post the link to the competition and let everyone of you make your own decision.  Nor will I influence any one by explaining why I chose Rochdale.

http://www.culture24.org.uk/places%20to%20go/museums%20at%20night/art420740

Pictures; courtesy of the Rochdale Pioneer Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment