Saturday 23 February 2013

Elections in Italy


Now its election time in Italy and I have never hidden my fascination for all things electoral.

So I have taken great pleasure in looking over some of the campaign material that has come my way.

And what you see is what we got.

Given that I don’t speak Italian working out what the parties are saying in their leaflets has been a challenge, but with the help of my Italian family, and Google translation I have got by, and any way this post is not a call to vote for one of them or even to pass a commentary on what’s going on, I just want to share how someone else does it.

Three of them crossed our door recently and if I have got things wrong I am sure I will be corrected.

Rivoluzione Civile, Civil Revolution is a left-wing coalition of political parties in Italy. 

It is headed by Antonio Ingroia, who was an anti-mafia prosecutor of Palermo from 1992 to 2012 and the director of a UN investigation into narcotraffic in Guatemala in 2012.


Il Popolo della Libertà,  The People of Freedom is a centre-right political party in Italy. 

With the Democratic Party, it is one of the two major parties of the current Italian party system.

The party was launched by Silvio Berlusconi on 18 November 2007 and officially founded in a party congress on 27–29 March 2009, when Forza Italia and National Alliance were merged.

Partito Democratico, The Democratic Party is a social-democratic political party in Italy. 

Along with The People of Freedom, it is one of the two major parties of the current Italian party system. 


The party was founded on 14 October 2007 as a merger of various left-wing and centrist parties which were part of The Union in the 2006 general election. 

Several parties merged into the Democratic Party, however its bulk was formed by the Democrats of the Left (heirs of the Italian Communist Party) and Democracy is Freedom – The Daisy. 

Within the party, an important role is played also by Christian leftists, who are direct heirs of the late Christian Democracy party's left.”*

And the elections are on February 24 and 25th.
*Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment